CLEMSON, S.C. – #65 Clemson swept Furman, 7-0, Wednesday in men's tennis action at the Clemson Indoor Tennis Center in Clemson, S.C.
The Tigers (1-0) clinched the doubles point to open the match. The duo of Yannick Maden and Dominique Maden, ranked 18th-nationally, combined for an 8-1 win over Paladin senior Andrew Mellow and junior Joel Cook in the top-seeded match, while Gerardo Meza and Ayrton Wibowo handed junior Alex Christ and sophomore Richard Casagrande an 8-2 loss at number two singles. In the flight three match-up, Hunter Harrington and Zachary Rigsby posted an 8-4 victory over Furman rookie Matt Browne and sophomore Jacob Behal.
In singles action, Clemson swept the full slate of matches, as #75 Yannick Maden bested Mellow, 6-3, 6-3, at number one, and Harrington defeated Christ, 6-2, 2-6, 6-1, in the second singles match. At number three, Meza recorded a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Cook, while Dominique Maden beat Browne, 6-2, 6-2, at number four. Behal took an early 7-6 first-set lead for the Paladins at number five, but Wibowo came from behind with a 7-6 victory in the second set then took a 10-7 win in the tiebreaker. Austin Ansari notched a 6-3, 6-2 win over sophomore Luke Synn in the sixth singles match-up.
Furman (1-2) will play at South Carolina Saturday at 10 a.m.
#60 Clemson 7, Furman 0
1. #75 Yannick Maden (CU) d. Andrew Mellow (F) 6-3, 6-3
2. Hunter Harrington (CU) d. Alex Christ (F) 6-2, 2-6, 6-1
3. Gerardo Meza (CU) d. Joel Cook (F) 6-3, 6-4
4. Dominique Maden (CU) d. Matt Browne (F) 6-2, 6-2
5. Ayrton Wibowo (CU) d. Jacob Hehal (F) 6-7, 7-6, 10-7
6. Austin Ansari (CU) d. Luke Synn (F) 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 3, 2, 6, 5
1. #18 Yannick Maden/Dominique Maden (CU) d. Andrew Mellow/Joel Cook (F) 8-1
2. Gerardo Meza/Ayrton Wibowo (CU) d. Alex Christ/Richard Casagrande (F) 8-2
3. Hunter Harrington/Zachary Rigsby (CU) d. Matt Browne/Jacob Behal (F) 8-4
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2