GREENVILLE, S.C. -- Furman blanked Chattanooga, 7-0, in men's tennis action Saturday at the Mickel Tennis Center in Greenville, S.C.
Furman swept the doubles matches to take the opening point. Senior Cameron Green and junior Jake Munns teamed up for a 6-1 victory over Niklas Gerdes and Simon Bustamante at flight one, and freshmen Drew Singerman and Ivan Mitric defeated Pablo Llebeili and Michael Birnbaum, 6-0, at number two. At flight three, sophomores Clarke Wilson and Trevor Croyder topped Jacob Marshall and Cooper Long, 6-2.
The Paladins won all six singles matches, five in straight sets. Green posted a 6-4, 6-1 advantage over Gerdes at flight one, and Munns outlasted Bustamante, 7-6, 6-0, at flight two. In the flight three contest, Mitric defeated Llebeili, 6-3, 7-5, and at flight four, Singerman came from behind to beat Luke Plaisted, 4-6, 6-3, 1-0(11-9). Sophomore Jake Bhangdia held off Marshall, 6-3, 6-2, at number five, and at number six, freshman Daniel Vishnick defeated Long, 6-2, 6-0.
Furman (13-5) will hit the road next weekend for two matches. The Paladins will play at UNC Greensboro Friday at 2 p.m. then travel to Charlotte on Saturday for a 4:30 p.m. contest.
Julie Paré, Furman Sports Information
Furman 7, Chattanooga 0
Mar 24, 2018 at Greenville, S.C. (Mickel Tennis Center)
1. Cameron Green (FUR) def. Niklas Gerdes (UTC) 6-4, 6-1
2. Jake Munns (FUR) def. Simon Bustamante (UTC) 7-6, 6-0
3. Ivan Mitric (FUR) def. Pablo Llebeili (UTC) 6-3, 7-5
4. Drew Singerman (FUR) def. Luke Plaisted (UTC) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (11-9)
5. Jake Bhangdia (FUR) def. Jacob Marshall (UTC) 6-3, 6-2
6. Daniel Vishnick (FUR) def. Cooper Long (UTC) 6-2, 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,1,5,3,2,4)