CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Furman slipped past Charlotte, 4-1, Saturday at the Halton-Wagner Tennis Complex in Charlotte, N.C.
Furman won two doubles matches to claim the opening point. Senior Cameron Green teamed with junior Jake Munns for a 6-3 victory over Luca Keist and C. Christoforou at flight one, and freshmen Drew Singerman and Ivan Mitric downed Oriol Puig Forne and Sam Rice, 6-4, at number three. The flight two match was unfinished.
In singles action, the Paladins extended their lead to 3-0 with straight-set wins at flights two and five. Munns topped Benjamin Wayand, 6-4, 6-1, at flight two, and sophomore Jake Bhangdia beat Siem Fenne, 6-2, 6-3, at flight five. The 49ers got on the board when Christoforou recorded a 6-2, 6-3 advantage versus Mitric at flight three, but Singerman clinched the match for Furman with a 7-5, 7-6 win against Puig Forne at number four.
The matches at flight one and flight six were unfinished.
Furman (15-5, 3-1 SoCon) will entertain Clemson Wednesday at 3 p.m. at the Mickel Tennis Center.
Julie Paré, Furman Sports Information
Furman 4, Charlotte 1
Mar 31, 2018 at Charlotte, N.C. (Halton-Wagner Tennis Complex)
1. Luca Keist (CHA) vs. Cameron Green (FUR) 6-4, 6-7 (3-7), unfinished
2. Jake Munns (FUR) def. Benjamin Wayand (CHA) 6-4, 6-1
3. C. Christoforou (CHA) def. Ivan Mitric (FUR) 6-2, 6-3
4. Drew Singerman (FUR) def. Oriol Puig Forne (CHA) 7-5, 7-6
5. Jake Bhangdia (FUR) def. Siem Fenne (CHA) 6-2, 6-3
6. Collin Thomson (CHA) vs. Daniel Vishnick (FUR) 4-6, 6-4, 1-2, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (2,5,3,4)