CHATTANOOGA, TENN. -- Furman cruised to a 4-0 victory over Wofford in the opening round of the Southern Conference Championships Friday at the Champions Club in Chattanooga, Tenn. The Paladins (18-7, 5-2 SoCon), who entered the tournament as the No. 3 seed, will face No. 2 Mercer Saturday at 10 a.m. in the second round.
The Paladins scored wins at flights one and three to take the doubles point. Senior Cameron Green and junior Jake Munns, who were named to the All-SoCon first team in doubles, defeated Julian Chousa and John Crawford, 6-2, at flight one, and freshmen Drew Singerman and Ivan Mitric, the 2018 SoCon Freshman of the Year, topped Omar Williams and Jack Thomas, 6-2, at number three. The flight two match was unfinished.
Furman claimed three singles points with straight-sets victories at flights one, three, and six. Green, who earned an All-SoCon first team citation for singles, blew past Lucas Cerbelli, 6-0, 6-2, at flight one, and Mitric downed Edu Villar, 6-2, 6-0, at number three. At flight six, sophomore Jake Bhangdia recorded a 6-1, 6-1 advantage over Kyle Barr.
The matches at flights two, four, and five were unfinished.
Julie Paré, Furman Sports Information
Furman 4, Wofford 0
Apr 20, 2018 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (Champions Club)
1. Cameron Green (FUR) def. Lucas Cerbelli (WOF) 6-0, 6-2
2. Jake Munns (FUR) vs. Julian Chousa (WOF) 7-6 (7-4), unfinished
3. Ivan Mitric (FUR) def. Edu Villar (WOF) 6-2, 6-0
4. Drew Singerman (FUR) vs. Omar Williams (WOF) 1-6, 3-4, unfinished
5. Clarke Wilson (FUR) vs. Parks Schoen (WOF) 6-2, 4-1, unfinished
6. Jake Bhangdia (FUR) def. Kyle Barr (WOF) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,6,3)