CHATTANOOGA, TENN. -- Furman avenged last weekend's regular season loss to Mercer, defeating the second-seeded Bears, 4-1, Saturday in the semifinals of the Southern Conference Championships at the Champions Club in Chattanooga, Tenn. With the win, the No. 3 Paladins (19-7, 5-2 SoCon) advance to the championship match against top-seeded East Tennessee State, which will be held Sunday at 10 a.m. at McCallie School.
The Paladins claimed victories at flights one and three to take the doubles point. Senior Cameron Green and junior Jake Munns beat Sam Philp and Olivier Stuart, 6-3, at number one, and sophomores Jake Bhangdia and Clarke Wilson defeated Carver Arant and Fernando Guardia, 7-5, at number three. The flight two match was unfinished.
Furman scored three singles points in straight sets for the team win. Green topped Philp, 6-1, 6-0, at flight one, and rookie Drew Singerman downed Guardia, 6-1, 6-3, at number four. At flight six, Bhangdia held off Arant, 6-3, 7-5.
Mercer's lone point came at flight two, where Stuart recorded a 6-2, 6-4 advantage over Munns.
The matches at flights three and five were unfinished.
Julie Paré, Furman Sports Information
Furman 4, Mercer 1
Apr 21, 2018 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (Champions Club)
1. Cameron Green (FUR) def. Sam Philp (MER) 6-1, 6-0
2. Olivier Stuart (MER) def. Jake Munns (FUR) 6-2, 6-4
3. Nicolas Guillon (MER) vs. Ivan Mitric (FUR) 7-5, 3-4, unfinished
4. Drew Singerman (FUR) def. Fernando Guardia (MER) 6-1, 6-3
5. Ruben Vanoppen (MER) vs. Clarke Wilson (FUR) 5-7, 5-4, unfinished
6. Jake Bhangdia (FUR) def. Carver Arant (MER) 6-3, 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,2,4,6)