DAVIDSON, N.C. -- The Furman men's tennis team extended its winning streak to five matches with a 6-1 win over Davidson Sunday at the Knobloch Tennis Center in Davidson, N.C.
The Paladins picked up wins in the top two doubles matches to take the first point. Sophomore Ivan Mitric and junior Jake Munns downed Axel Fries and Yash Parikh, 6-3, at flight one, and juniors Clarke Wilson and Jake Bhangdia beat Camden Mazzoni and Douglas MacIntosh, 6-4, at flight two. The flight three match was unfinished with Furman sophomores Henrik Atlevi and Drew Singerman leading Alexander Loope and Matthew Rose, 5-4.
Furman won the top four singles matches in straight sets and captured a tiebreaker win at flight six for the victory. Mitric, who ranks 117th nationally, recorded a 6-2, 7-6 win versus Fries in the top-seeded contest, and Wilson held off Parikh, 6-4, 7-6, at flight two. At number three, Munns posted a 7-6, 6-4 advantage versus Sam Kavarana, and Bhangdia outlasted Mazzoni, 7-5, 7-6, at number four. Singerman came from behind to defeat MacIntosh, 3-6, 6-4, 1-0(8), at flight six.
The Wildcats' single point came at number five, where Brooks Green topped Atlevi, 6-0, 7-5.
Furman (6-3, 1-0 SoCon) returns home to entertain Appalachian State Saturday at 1 p.m.
Julie Paré, Furman Sports Information
Furman 6, Davidson 1
Feb 17, 2019 at Davidson, N.C. (Knobloch Tennis Center)
1. #117 Ivan Mitric (FUR) def. Axel Fries (DAV) 6-2, 7-6
2. Clarke Wilson (FUR) def. Yash Parikh (DAV) 6-4, 7-6
3. Jake Munns (FUR) def. Sam Kavarana (DAV) 7-6, 6-4
4. Jake Bhangdia (FUR) def. Camden Mazzoni (DAV) 7-5, 7-6
5. Brooks Green (DAV) def. Henrik Atlevi (FUR) 6-0, 7-5
6. Drew Singerman (FUR) def. Douglas MacIntosh (DAV) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-8)