CHATTANOOGA, TENN. -- SoCon regular season champion Furman swept fourth-seeded Chattanooga, 4-0, Saturday in the semifinals of the Southern Conference Championships at the Champions Club in Chattanooga, Tenn. With the win, the Paladins (19-8, 7-0 SoCon) advance to the tournament's championship match, where they will face No. 2 seed ETSU Sunday at 2 p.m. at McCallie School. Furman is seeking its second-straight league title and 18th overall.
Furman won the top two doubles matches to claim the first point. Sophomore Katarina Kozarov and senior Aryn Greene beat Samantha Caswell and Emma Van Hee, 6-3, at flight one, and junior Katty Weymouth and sophomore Danni Vines topped Caroline Hall and Bogdana Zaporozhets, 6-1, at flight three. The number three match was unfinished.
The Paladins scored straight-sets wins at flights two, three, and five singles for the team victory. Weymouth held off Hall, 6-2, 6-4, at flight two, and Vines downed Delaney Edwards, 6-2, 6-1, at number three. At flight five, freshman Georgie Walker outlasted Van Hee, 6-4, 6-3.
Matches at flights one, four, and six were unfinished.
Julie Paré, Furman Sports Information
Furman 4, Chattanooga 0
04/21/2018 at Chattanooga, Tenn. (Champions Club)
1. Katarina Kozarov (FUR) vs. Samantha Caswell (UTC) 4-6, 4-4, unfinished
2. Katty Weymouth (FUR) def. Caroline Hall (UTC) 6-2, 6-4
3. Danni Vines (FUR) def. Delaney Edwards (UTC) 6-2, 6-1
4. Carol Eliz. Kerman (FUR) vs. Tamri Chalaganidze (UTC) 6-4, 1-2, unfinished
5. Georgie Walker (FUR) def. Emma Van Hee (UTC) 6-4, 6-3
6. Gabby Rodriguez (FUR) vs. Bogdana Zaporozhets (UTC) 6-3, 2-5, unfinished
3. Carol Eliz. Kerman/Gabby Rodriguez (FUR) vs. Delaney Edwards/Annie Tarwater (UTC) 5-4, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (3,2,5)
SoCon Tournament Semifinals