GREENVILLE, S.C. -- Furman blanked Elon, 7-0, Sunday in the Paladins' 2019 season opener at the Mickel Tennis Center in Greenville, S.C.
The Paladins claimed three doubles victories to take the opening point. Junior Katarina Kozarov and freshman Taylor Melville blanked Uma Nayar and Maria Paraja, 6-0, at flight one, and senior Katty Weymouth teamed with rookie Julia Adams for a 6-2 victory over Alex Koniaev and Olivia Archer at flight two. In the flight three contest, sophomore Carol Elizabeth Kerman and freshman Madison Dillon topped Mia Wallace and Suzanne Zenoni, 6-1.
Furman swept the singles matches, winning the top five matches in straight sets. At flight one, Kozarov, who is ranked 30th nationally, held off Zenoni, 6-2, 6-2, and Weymouth bested Nayar, 6-3. 6-0, at flight two. In the number three match-up, Melville defeated Montana Moore, 6-0, 6-2, and at number four, Adams posted a 6-2, 6-2 advantage versus Paraja. Dillon beat Archer, 6-2, 6-2, at flight five. Kerman came from behind for a 4-6, 6-3, 1-0(4) victory over Nicole Shiau.
"I am really pleased with the level that our team brought today," said Furman head coach Adam Herendeen. "With such a young team, it's great to see them come out and take control of the match against a quality opponent. Tomorrow's match is going to be very tough, so I look forward to seeing how our team responds."
Furman (1-0) will entertain Georgia State Monday at 2 p.m. at the Mickel Tennis Center.
Julie Paré, Furman Sports Information
Furman 7, Elon 0
Jan 20, 2019 at Greenville, S.C. (Mickel Tennis Center)
1. Katarina Kozarov (FUR) def. Suzanne Zenoni (ELON) 6-2, 6-2
2. Katty Weymouth (FUR) def. Uma Nayar (ELON) 6-3, 6-0
3. Taylor Melville (FUR) def. Montana Moore (ELON) 6-0, 6-2
4. Julia Adams (FUR) def. Maria Paraja (ELON) 6-2, 6-2
5. Madison Dillon (FUR) def. Olivia Archer (ELON) 6-2, 6-2
6. Carol Eliz. Kerman (FUR) def. Nicole Shiau (ELON) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-4)
3. Carol Eliz. Kerman/Madison Dillon (FUR) def. Mia Wallace/Suzanne Zenoni (ELON) 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (2,3,4,1,5,6)