HUNTINGTON, W.Va. -- Furman blanked Marshall, 7-0, Friday at the Huntington Tennis Club in Huntington, W.Va. With the win, the Paladins improve to 8-1 and extend their winning streak to five matches, while the Thundering Herd drops to 2-6 with the loss.
The Paladins picked up wins at flights two and three to take the doubles point. Freshman Madison Dillon and senior Katty Weymouth downed Madi Ballow and Liz Stefancic, 6-2, at flight two, and sophomore Carol Elizabeth Kerman and rookie Taylor Melville scored a 6-2 decision over Victoria Walter and Matilde Mulatero at number three.
Furman won all six singles matches in straight sets. Junior Katarina Kozarov, who ranks 33rd nationally, defeated Anna Smith, 6-1, 6-1, in the top-seeded match up, and Weymouth bested Walter, 6-2, 6-1, at flight two. In the number three contest, freshman Julia Adams posted a 6-4, 6-1 victory versus Daniela Dankanych, and at flight four, Melville held off Ballow, 6-2, 6-4. Dillon outlasted Stefancic, 6-3, 7-6(7), in the number five contest, while sophomore Georgie Walker blew past Mulatero, 6-0, 6-1, at flight six.
"We played a complete match from start to finish tonight," said Furman head coach Adam Herendeen. "This team is growing so quickly and it's really fun to see how we are improving each day. We are excited for another big test tomorrow!"
Furman will square off against Penn State in a neutral match in Huntington on Saturday at noon.
Julie Paré, Furman Sports Information
Furman 7, Marshall 0
2/15/2019 at Huntington, W.Va. (Huntington Tennis Club)
1. #33 Katarina Kozarov (FUR) def. Anna Smith (MAR) 6-1, 6-1
2. Katty Weymouth (FUR) def. Victoria Walter (MAR) 6-2, 6-1
3. Julia Adams (FUR) def. Daniela Dankanych (MAR) 6-4, 6-1
4. Taylor Melville (FUR) def. Madi Ballow (MAR) 6-2, 6-4
5. Madison Dillon (FUR) def. Liz Stefancic (MAR) 6-3, 7-6 (7-2)
6. Georgie Walker (FUR) def. Matilde Mulatero (MAR) 6-0, 6-1
3. Carol Eliz. Kerman/Taylor Melville (FUR) def. Victoria Walter/Matilde Mulatero (MAR) 6-2
Furman 8-1, 0-0 SOCON
Marshall 2-6, 0-1 C-USA
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (1,3,2,4,5,6)