Volleyball Travels to Western North Carolina for Two SoCon Matchups
Greenville, S.C. – The Furman volleyball team continues SoCon play this weekend as they travel to Appalachian State (10-8, 1-3 SoCon) and Western Carolina (14-4, 4-0 SoCon). Furman (8-7, 4-0 SoCon) will travel to Boone, N.C. to face the Mountaineers at 7:00 p.m. on Friday, before heading to Cullowhee, N.C. to take on the Catamounts on Sunday at 3:00 p.m.
Furman, who started the season at 0-5, has won eight of its last 10 matches and five matches in a row. The Paladins are coming off a win at Georgia Southern, which was the first victory for the Furman in Statesboro since a 3-2 victory on October 30, 2009.
Appalachian State holds a 31-25 lead on the series with the Paladins, but Furman has won four of the last five meetings between the two teams, including a 3-0 win over the Mountaineers in Greenville last season. Sophomore Emily Corrigan leads the team in kills (240) and is averaging 3.75 kills per set.
Furman holds a 37-28 lead in the series against Western Carolina. The Paladins have captured six consecutive victories over the Catamounts, with the last coming in a 3-0 defeat of WCU in Greenville last season. The Catamounts are the only other team currently undefeated in SoCon play and are led by junior Jordan Timmermann, who averages 3.11 kills per set. Senior libero Morgan Cochran leads the conference in digs with 391.
Live stats and video links can be found on FurmanPaladins.com. Fans can also follow @FurmanVB on Twitter for periodic match updates.
- Libero Elle Ross is now #8 on Furman's career-digs list (1,244). She needs two digs to move into sole possession of #7 on Furman's all-time digs list.
- Ross recorded a career-high 36 digs vs. Wofford, followed by a 29-dig performance against Georgia Southern to be named SoCon Defensive Player of the Week.
- Furman has started the SoCon season at 4-0 for the first time since 2009 when the Paladins went 16-0 in conference play.
- Furman's win at Georgia Southern on Friday was the Paladins' first win in Statesboro since October 30, 2009.
- Andrea Fisher set career-highs with 21 kills and 18 digs vs. Georgia Southern en route to being named the SoCon Offensive Player of the Week and the SoCon Student-Athlete of the Week.
- Furman will host their annual "Dig Pink" game against Davidson on October 18. Fans can visit FurmanPaladins.com for a link to donate to the Paladins' campaign for the Side-Out Foundation.