Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Furman Tops Belmont In SoCon Opener, 4-2

Danny Kierath
Danny Kierath

Nashville, Tenn. -- Furman netted a season-high four goals, including two in the final nine minutes, to top league newcomer Belmont, 4-2, in the Paladins' Southern Conference men's soccer opener at E.S. Rose Park in Nashville, Tenn., on Tuesday evening.

With their third straight victory, Furman improved to 7-4-1 overall and 1-0 in SoCon play. Belmont dropped to 2-7-2 overall and 0-1-1 in the league.

Tied at 2-2 with under nine minutes to play, senior Danny Kierath received a cross between the penalty spot and top of the six-yard box, took a touch to find space and fired a left-footed shot past Belmont goalkeeper Nicolo Dini for the eventual match-winning goal at the 81:28 mark. Four minutes later, a Paladin cross into the box deflected off of a Bruin defender and bounced into the left-hand corner to provide the finale 4-2 margin.

Ben Hale made three saves in goal to secure the victory, while Dini stopped three shots for Belmont. The Paladins held a 13-11 edge in total shot attempts, including a 7-5 advantage in shots on goal.

Furman grabbed the early lead just seven minutes into the match. Rocky Guerra centered a pass to senior Laurence Wyke and the midfielder rocketed a left-footed shot into the upper corner to open the scoring.

After Belmont netted the equalizing goal at 35:14 on Matteo Bennati's strike from the left wing, Furman found another go-ahead goal just 33 seconds later. Freshman Miles Fenton slid a pass into the middle of the box to Emery May, who powered a shot past Dini from 15 yards to put the Paladins in front at the 35:47 mark.

Adam Voloder knotted the match at 2-2 in the 52nd minute before Kierath's late heroics handed Furman its third straight win and improved the Paladins to 4-0-1 in their last five contests.

Furman will host VMI at 7 p.m. Saturday in the SoCon home opener on Seagraves Field at Stone Stadium. Tickets are available for $5 and can be purchased online at or beginning one hour prior to kickoff at the Stone Stadium gate.