WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- The Furman women's tennis team picked up five singles wins Sunday in the final day of the Wake Forest Invitational in Winston-Salem, N.C. Although the tournament is being played in a format similar to a spring dual match, only individual results count throughout the tournament.
The Paladins faced LSU in the first round of the day, with freshman Katherine Oudin defeating Kaitlin Burns 1-6, 6-1, 6-2 at number two singles, and fellow rookie Margaret Boyette beating Yvette Vlaar 7-5, 4-6, 6-3 at number three singles. Freshman Amanda Murray beat Ariel Morton 6-3, 4-6, 7-5 at number four singles, and sophomore Michele Stanford defeated Hayley Everett 6-1, 6-3 in the sixth singles position.
Later in the day, Furman played N.C. State, where senior Monica Arguello picked up a 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 victory over Sanaa Bhambri in the number one singles spot.
This tournament concludes the fall season for the Furman women's tennis team. The Paladins will open the 2011 spring season on Jan. 25 when Furman plays host to South Carolina at 4 p.m.
Complete Furman results from Sunday are as follows:
Singles - Furman vs. LSU
1) Whitney Wolf (LSU) def. Monica Arguello (FUR), 6-4, 6-4
2) Katherine Oudin (FUR) def. Kaitlin Burns(LSU), 1-6, 6-1, 6-2
3) Margaret Boyette (FUR) def. Yvette Vlaar (LSU), 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
4) Amanda Murray (FUR) def. Ariel Morton (LSU), 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
5) Kylie Adamek (LSU) def. Jenny Porter (FUR), 6-4, 6-4
6) Michele Stanford (FUR) def. Hayley Everett (LSU), 6-1, 6-3
Singles - Furman vs. N.C. State
1) Monica Arguello (FUR) def. Sanaa Bhambri (NCSU), 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
2) Sandhya Nagaraj (NCSU) def. Katherine Oudin (FUR), 6-4, 6-1
3) Joelle Kissell (NCSU) def. Margaret Boyette (FUR), 6-4, 6-1
4) Lenka Hojckova (NCSU) def. Amanda Murray (FUR), 2-6, 6-4, 10-5
5) Chloe Smith (NCSU) def. Jenny Porter (FUR), 6-4, 6-3
6) Ashley Miller (NCSU) def. Michele Stanford (FUR), 6-3, 6-2
7) Christy Sipes (NCSU) def. Olivia Maurice (FUR), 6-0, 6-3