GREENVILLE, S.C. -- With the team score tied at three-apiece, freshman Ansley Speaks recorded a 6-3, 7-6 victory over Olga Blank at flight two singles to lead the Furman women's tennis team past UNC Wilmington, 4-3, Sunday at the Mickel Tennis Center in Greenville, S.C.
The Paladins clinched the doubles point to open the match. Senior Margaret Boyette teamed with freshman Karlee Bryde to blank Kelly Cameron and Hollie Champion, 6-0, at flight three, then the freshman duo of Speaks and Blair Martin posted a 6-4 win versus Angie Sekely and Alyssa Ritchie at flight two to claim the first point. The top flighted match was unfinished.
In singles action, Furman took a 2-0 lead after junior Kelly Sullivan picked up a quick 6-4, 6-2 win over Hamilton Lovett at flight six, but the Seahawks tied the match after scoring victories at flights one and four. Sekely defeated junior Alex Moreno-Kaste, 6-4, 6-1, in the top spot, and Cameron topped Martin, 6-4, 6-1, at number four.
The Paladins regained the lead, 3-2, when Bryde registered a 6-2, 6-4 win against Christine Kharkevich at number five, then Ritchie bested senior Katherine Oudin, 7-5, 6-3 in the three spot to tie the match, setting up the decisive flight two match.
Furman (3-2) will travel to Athens, Ga., on Feb. 21 to face Georgia at 2:30 p.m.
Furman 4, UNCW 3
Feb 09, 2014 at Greenville, S.C. (Mickel Tennis Center)
1. Angie Sekely (UNCW1) def. Alex Moreno-Kaste (FUR) 6-4, 6-1
2. Ansley Speaks (FUR) def. Olga Blank (UNCW1) 6-3, 7-6
3. Alyssa Ritchie (UNCW1) def. Katherine Oudin (FUR) 7-5, 6-3
4. Kelly Cameron (UNCW1) def. Blair Martin (FUR) 6-4, 6-1
5. Karlee Bryde (FUR) def. Christine Kharkevich (UNCW1) 6-2, 6-4
6. Kelly Sullivan (FUR) def. Hamilton Lovett (UNCW1) 6-4, 6-2
1. Alex Moreno-Kaste/Katherine Oudin (FUR) vs. Olga Blank/Christine Kharkevich (UNCW1) 3-2, unfinished
2. Blair Martin/Ansley Speaks (FUR) def. Angie Sekely/Alyssa Ritchie (UNCW1) 6-4
3. Margaret Boyette/Karlee Bryde (FUR) def. Kelly Cameron/Hollie Champion (UNCW1) 6-0
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,1,4,5,3,2)