GREENVILLE, S.C. -- Furman extended its winning streak to six matches and remained unbeaten in Southern Conference play with a 5-2 win over Chattanooga Friday at the Mickel Tennis Center in Greenville, S.C.
The Paladins won two of three doubles matches to take the opening point. Freshman Carol Elizabeth Kerman and senior Gabby Rodriguez downed Caroline Hall and Bogdana Zaporozhets, 6-2, at flight two, and rookie Georgie Walker and sophomore Danni Vines teamed up for a 6-2 victory versus Annie Tarwater and Delaney Edwards at number three. The Mocs' Samantha Caswell and Emma Van Hee came from behind for a 7-6(4) advantage against junior Katty Weymouth and senior Aryn Greene at number one.
In singles play, the slate was evened at 1-1 after Hall won 5-2 when the flight three match was retired due to an injury to Greene. Furman took a 2-1 lead as Kerman defeated Van Hee, 6-1, 6-1, at flight six, but the Mocs again tied the score, 2-2, when Zaporozhets beat Walker, 6-3, 6-4, at number six.
The Paladins scored the final three points for the 5-2 victory. Weymouth held off Edwards, 7-6, 6-3, at flight two, then Vines escaped with a 6-3, 7-6(4) win versus Tamri Chalaganidze at number four, to clinch the match. At flight one, sophomore Katarina Kozarov came from behind to beat Caswell, 3-6, 7-5, 6-1.
Furman (13-8, 4-0 SoCon) will entertain Limestone Friday at 2:45 p.m. at the Mickel Tennis Center.
Julie Paré, Furman Sports Information
Furman 5, Chattanooga 2
Mar 30, 2018 at Greenville, S.C. (Mickel Tennis Center)
1. Katarina Kozarov (FUR) def. Samantha Caswell (UTC) 3-6, 7-5, 6-1
2. Katty Weymouth (FUR) def. Delaney Edwards (UTC) 7-6, 6-3
3. Caroline Hall (UTC) def. Aryn Greene (FUR) 5-2, retired
4. Danni Vines (FUR) def. Tamri Chalaganidze (UTC) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
5. Carol Eliz. Kerman (FUR) def. Emma Van Hee (UTC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Bogdana Zaporozhets (UTC) def. Georgie Walker (FUR) 6-3, 6-4
2. Carol Eliz. Kerman/Gabby Rodriguez (FUR) def. Caroline Hall/Bogdana Zaporozhets (UTC) 6-2
Chattanooga 7-6, 2-2 SoCon
Furman 13-8, 4-0 SoCon
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,5,6,2,4,1)